Connect to Ustream.tv Chat With An IRC Client
If you have a favorite room on ustream.tv and you can’t stand the web based chat client, you can easily attach to their IRC server and take control of your experience.
- Create an account on ustream.tv, you’re going to use your credentials to log into their server.
- Download and install an IRC client. In this example I’m going to be using pidgin as it’s installed by default in Ubuntu. Versions for windoze and mac are available here.
- Open up the app and click on the accounts menu, and click on manage accounts.
- Click on “Add”.
- For protocol, choose IRC, fill in your username and password (check the “remember password” option), then in the server box, add chat1.ustream.tv.
- Save these settings and make sure to click “enabled” next to it in the accounts window. This will cause pidgin to create the connection to ustream.tv
- Close the accounts window then click on the “Buddies” menu back on the Buddy list window. Then click on “join a chat”.
- In the channel window, type in the name of the room that you are currently in prefixed with a number sign “#”.
Once you do this a new window should pop open and you will be chatting on ustream.tv in your appropriate room without the hassle of their java web client.